Food For Thought

Food For Thought
Free, Free Falling!

About Me

My photo
Anyone reading this should already know me, unless you've found my blog randomly, in which case you should know one thing about me straight away - I find that quite odd! Whether your one of the odd ones, or one of my friends/family checking in. Hello.

Monday 18 July 2011

A little bit of every good reason

A few friends from the guest house took a trip this weekend. Everyone has worked so hard, and we each had our reasons for taking the break.

Sarah is here completing research for Dr Warfe, brain behind the development of ETV surgery. In Uganda, work in the community evidently means mucky work, long days and many sweaty journeys in crowded motatus.

Sarah = A little luxury

Oliver has just arrived from Leeds, but he is staying in he wash and wills hotel. Ironically, wash and wills are not providing enough hot water, So he showered 5 times in two days at our home away from the home away from home. 

Oliver = Hot Showers

A girl of my own volition, Jamie, arrived from Texas on Monday. She feels most alive when adrenaline is coursing through her body... The only question for us was how we could satisfy that thirst.

Jam and I = Fat fix of adrenaline.  

So.... Jinja was the destination, and the four friends stayed at two friends guest house, on my recommendation. We knew that this combination could offer everything we needed, we just didn't realise how quickly it would deliver.   

Within 5 minutes of arriving, our shoulders dropped an inch as the stress rolled away. We sank a beer at the poolside bar and enjoyed a long lunch together. 

.... Within an hour of finishing the last bite,  Jamie through herself 44metres off the tower and head first into the nile river. Jamie flapped her arms in the hope it would get her feet back up where she started, but after plunging her head in the water, it was the recoil of the bungee cord that sent her flying back up in the air. 

Oliver was next to jump and in similar fashion, he descended feet first.. his brain clearly telling him it was wrong - but it was too late to do anything about it, other than enjoy the feeling. 

After the initial uncertainty and moment of sanity, Sarah changed her mind and ascended the tower.  Flying off the platform with a perfect swallow dive, she let out a blood curdling scream. Her rebound seemed so fast she caught up with the scream she left at the top... swallowed it, and then let out the most almighty laughter! It was great! 

Sarah hadn't quite reached the water for the dip... So they recalculated and let me launch myself off. Not to be outdone, (you know me) I held my shape through the dive, braced my arms above my head for the entry into the nile, and before I had slowed too much... or shut my eyes, I was submerged in the river, entirely submerged! TWANG, and back up again. 

We went back to the guest house, grinning from ear to ear and had a hot shower to wash the nile off, before sinking more beers, eating great food and talking about the day. 

The weekend couldn't have been better, unless we had managed to get back to the bungee tower in time for the night time naked dives! Although we tried and failed on that count, we succeeded in having a little bit of every good reason for making the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment