Food For Thought

Food For Thought
Free, Free Falling!

About Me

My photo
Anyone reading this should already know me, unless you've found my blog randomly, in which case you should know one thing about me straight away - I find that quite odd! Whether your one of the odd ones, or one of my friends/family checking in. Hello.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Welcome ... T.I.A

Before you read on, you should know that I'm so pleased I'm here! Although this could sound like my first ever blog moan. It isn't t... TIA! and this is all a learning experience. 

Things are getting better but the shock of arriving, the disparity of rich vs poor, the African pace of life, and how the term.... "T.I.A" (This is Africa) can be applied to so many things you see and hear, was somewhat difficult to get my head around in the first few days. 
When I arrived in Kampala, my hotel entrance was strewn with rubbish, and lined with homeless, clearly in need. The market opposite was busy, even at midnight, and the security guard couldn't care less about the metal detector sounding an alarm - perhaps this was because he had a rifle?! I was over charged for my accommodation, fleeced for a bottle of water and given the room with a mosquito net attachment way too high from the bed to allow any covering. The door to my room didn't shut properly and did't lock at all. Needless to say I slept with one eye open, my bag jammed against the door and hugging my essential possessions. 

I met with the GM of Barclays Uganda and his PA, in Kampala. I was chauffeur driven around town and past a lady  who was literally crawling on hands and knees across the road. This just baked my noodle! Not one person helping her, and the driver just rolling on passed her. 
I insisted on travelling with locals rather than having a driver take me to the hospital. I set off for Mbale by coach, the Elgon Flyer service, and arrived late at night. I was swamped by local beggars, as young as 5, may be 7? to adults. It felt as though I wasn't welcome because I didn't hand everything or anything over. But I had made a friend, a local man called Apollo. He had been sat next to me on the coach, eaten the best chicken lollipops (chicken legs on sticks) from road side venders and, god bless him... after eating too much he fell asleep on my shoulder. Apollo hailed a taxi, showed me to my hotel so I was safe and sound! At times it really didn't feel like I would be. 

The reception had been very mixed, but is becoming more positive day by day and the hospital is amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment